Thursday 16 February 2012

Tokyo Jihen (Tokyo Incidents)

EARLY last week Tokyohive reported several amusing news. First it was the spotting of Johnny's Akanishi Jin supposed date with rising popular actress, Kuroki Meisa, which was briefly followed by news that they got married and a baby is on the way.

Then it was the announcement of Tokyo Jihen's (Tokyo Incidents) final performance that will be broadcast live in the theatres of several countries in Asia. This comes after its unanticipated announcement of a disbandment after slightly less than a decade since its formation in 2003.

Lastly, it was the untimely death of Whitney Houston the eve of the Grammy's.

Tokyo Jihen
What a week it has been in the Japanese & American Entertainment Industry!

Of all these news, I was only really interested in Tokyo Jihen. I think any news of a disbandment is sad especially if you grew up listening to a particular band. When news of their disbandment broke out in January, my initial reaction was, "Why?... WHy?!... WHY?!?!?!" It was at a time where I had a mental note of all the concerts I hope to be able to watch while in Japan, and Tokyo Jihen was in the list.

Although to me the essence of the band is the mastermind Shiina Ringo, and I do like her solo works, sometimes, being in a band allows you to produce more interesting stuff. I so heart Shiina Ringo as I think she's the epitome of being cool yet elegant at the same time, but I do feel that her best works usually come from being with Tokyo Jihen.

I don't think she has the best voice for a singer, but as a lyricist and composer, she's got her own brand of style. She's produced jazz numbers, ballads, alternative rock, hard rock etc, mainly in Japanese but there's also a few English songs. When you read the lyrics and then listen to the song, it's totally not what you'll expect to hear. If I have to think of a Caucasian equivalent in terms of musicality, it has gotta be Bjork.

Sports (2010)
My fave Tokyo Jihen album was their 2010 release, Sports. Their last album together was released last month, Color Bars (2012). It's a mini-album of about 5 songs I think, with each member produced a song for it's finale. I forgot where in the internet that I've read from, but it stated that Color Bars was like a closing theme that started with them releasing albums according to the types of television programmes. Hence their albums were titled as Education (2004), Adult (2006), Variety (2007), Sports (2010) and Great Discovery (2011).









I've yet to listen to Color Bars, but Sports was the only album in my entire life where I listened to it at least once almost every day for a period of time. That album was a different style than their previous releases, in a sense that it was almost too radio friendly 'cuz it was quite soothing to the ears (for me). I have quite a few faves from that album like Zettai Zetsumei and FAIR.

Color Bars (2012)

Tokyohive stated that tickets sold in movie theatres for the live broadcast only go on sale from Feb 25. I did a random check on Golden Village website and tickets for the Feb 29 screening is already half filled. 

Really hate the thought that I've to watch Tokyo Jihen's final performance in a theatre albeit Live broadcast, but it was a now or never situation, so I went ahead and bought a ticket for myself at a seat that seemed to be left just for me - middle row; middle seat.

*Pictures from Tokyohive & Google Images

2 comments:

  1. Shiina Ringo is a YUI fan xD She also appeared as a guest for her Budoukan Live (day 1) this yearxD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?!?!?! OOOOooo... guess I must check out YUI's music one day...

      Delete