Saturday 25 February 2012

MBS - Paiza

MY best mates scheduled last weekend to spend time with me before I leave, and I have the pleasure of staying at the Marina Bay Sands (MBS) for the 2nd time since 2010.

Back in 2010, both the Arts & Science Museum and Louis Vuitton's "island" were still in construction. There were no signs to indicate which room level we were on, the pool at the SkyPark was almost empty during the day, the food court and half the building at the MBS Shoppes were also in construction. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable stay complements from a pal from university. I had no idea the room I stayed in 2010 was considered to be one of the privileged rooms for members until last weekend. 
Louis Vuitton "Island" (left) Arts & Science Museum (right) - Aug 2010
Pool @ SkyPark - Aug 2010

One and a half years on, I returned with a different group of friends - my closest friends, and we stayed in the Paiza Club rooms. As I've been busy with preparations, I didn't bother to find out or ask more about these rooms. I was still very clueless and it didn't hit me until later in the night when we found by chance that Korean boy-band, Super Junior, occupied the entire level above us when we happened to take the same lift with someone from the media who got off at their level, that I realised we've been privileged with such an offer.

I guess the reason why it didn't occur to me that we stayed in one of the more luxurious rooms was the lack of differentiation in service. Besides the awesome 180degree view of the CBD skyline, One Fullerton, the Esplanade, the Floating platform & Helix bridge... the 3 other differences were, there was a fruit basket and a plate of supposedly designer chocolates served in our rooms, we have access to eating at The Club and access to using Banyan Tree's health and fitness facilities.

As MBS is part of the Las Vegas Sands umbrella, certain form of global identification is mandatory. Of all things, the items for worldwide standardisation had to be the toiletries. I know because the first thing I noticed in my 1st stay at MBS was the same inferior toiletries packaging as The Venetian in Macau. FEO's (Far East Organisation) Quincy Hotel offered a range of Molten Brown... surely Las Vegas Sands could offer something equivalent or better for its premium members.

Considering that it is a 5-star accommodation... did we feel that we received 5-star service? No. In such times, personalised service is the way to go if you're gonna offer toiletries that give the impression of "Watson's Shampoo & Shower Gel". I'm really curious now what kind of 5-star service did members of Super Junior get since they were in the same tower as us.

Personally, I'm just there for the company and I enjoyed my stay mainly 'cuz of the friends I'm with and we took things at a chill pace. But if it's other guests, I'm not sure if they'll be as forgiving. Will I return for another stay? Unless someone treats me again, the answer is No.


Our room
View from our room. It's unfortunate that last Saturday was a cloudy day.
The ugly toiletries.
Complementary Tea @ The Club
The extremely packed pool. I don't wanna imagine how it was on Saturday night.

Took the Sampan Ride xD

Blogger is refusing to upload my pix in correct orientation. Anyways, we didn't know there's gonna be a "waterfall" at a designated time until the Sampan peddler asked us whether we wanna get drenched in the Sampan ride.
Louis Vuitton's art gallery
A laser and water show about... water... in front of MBS Shoppes
Night scene from our room. Helix Bridge, Arts & Science Museum, Esplanade in the background on the left.

KUTA with funny guest DJ - DJ DOZE. You will be surprised by his mixes.

Woke up to a bright Sunday
Complementary Breakfast at The Club
Ahoy! from the Cantilever?! Anyways... Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment