Saturday 28 January 2012

The Water Dragon Glides In

TO all Chinese wherever you are in the world, a Happy Lunar New Year!


This January has been an exceptionally busy month. Numerous birthday celebrations, meeting up with friends, cleaning the flat and decorating it, and had a head-start in packing my luggage while waiting for Visa approval from Japan Immigration.


I didn't pack meticulously. Rather, I threw stuff into the luggage like, "Oh, I'll need this. *throw*" It was until I received notification that my Visa was approved on Monday, which was also the first day of the Lunar New Year, that I emptied the luggage and re-packed it from Wednesday. If there's a Daiso in your country, it's a great place to get pretty (too pretty for my liking actually, but it's useful) zip-lock bags in all sizes to organise your stuff. It's the 100¥ store if you're in Japan; SGD$2 if you're in Singapore. These zip-locks are available in packs of 5-30pieces depending on the size.

Takin' my Star Wars chopsticks with me. This is just one luggage filled with toiletries, books, bags and cables that I wanna use.
Just a few hours ago, I finally received the package containing my original documents mentioned in my first post of this blog, in addition to the Certificate of Eligibility from Japan's Immigration to complete the Visa application process. I'll write a more comprehensive post regarding this once I've settled the entire Visa issue.

Meanwhile, I just wanna post something less austere as part of the 15-day celebration of ushering the year of the Water Dragon. 

I'm sure it's gonna be an extremely tough year for me but I'm all geared up to take on this challenge!





Chinatown, Singapore - 2 days before the Lunar New Year.  

I still don't get the "act cute" attempt of giving a pig-like nose to the dragon.

There was also a stage rehearsal by the road preparing for the countdown to the New Year.

The crowds marked the typical atmosphere in Chinatown towards the Lunar New Year. Nat brought me to a traditional Chinese confectionery shop, Tong Heng, known for its smooth, curd-like egg tarts. I've had it before, but it was the first time in my life to have it warm - that... made A LOT of difference.














Muar, Malaysia.

I drove across the Causeway from Singapore to Muar with my parents for their annual prayers on the first day of the Lunar New Year. There I saw an interesting book... manual... hmmm... I can't think of a suitable word to describe it, but it's a book that supposedly interpret your dreams along with associating certain numbers to your dreams for those who are habitual lottery players.








Back in Singapore, friends & relatives gathered to our humble abode on the 2nd day of the celebration. Mom always has a tendency to cook for an army even if it's only 15 people coming for a meal. 

Nat & Celeste made Ebi Sashimi out of my stuffed toy, Louise the Shrimp, by placing Sunshine Carebear and a dog toy on either side feasting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment